Welcome to Cooking with Kayla! Today we tackled a Grain-Free Apple Puff Pancake by Cook It Allergy Free. Looking at the ingredients, I could not believe that this would actually “puff” but we gave it a shot anyway. We picked an evening that Daddy wasn’t home because Daddy is not a fan of any kind of cooked fruit (I know, very unfortunate when you’re gluten-free).
- 8 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar, divided (could use any kind of sugar, I just had coconut sugar in my pantry and wanted to try it)
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups allowed milk (we used part coconut and part cow’s milk)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Preheat oven to 425.
2) Peel and finely slice the apples. I let Kayla help with this after lots of instruction on how to handle a sharp knife and how to pull it “towards your thumb”. She did great! Put the 8 tablespoons of liquid coconut oil in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, then add the apples and toss to coat. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar. Instructions said to put the apples in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, but we found that they weren’t totally soft at the end of the recipe, so if we do it again, we’d probably put them in for 10 minutes.
3) Blend the eggs at high speed for 1 minute. Add the following: Milk, almond flour, coconut flour, the remaining 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Blend well for another minute.
4) Pour batter over apple mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it is puffed and brown.
We actually ate this for dinner with sausage: Breakfast for dinner! I couldn’t believe how it actually puffed! It starts to fall as it cools but still was delicious.
Affiliate Disclosure Print This Post Email This Post