10 Days of Gluten Free!

Welcome to 10 Days of Gluten Free! Every day (Monday through Friday) for the next 2 weeks, I will be doing a quick post with a new money-saving tip each day. I am participating in this blog hop with 9 other fabulous bloggers who will all be doing posts on different gluten-free topics. They are:

Getting Started – Linda @ The Gluten-Free Homemaker

Resources – Wendy @ Celiacs in the House

Traveling – Karen @ Gluten-Free Travel Blog

Eating Out – Heather @ Gluten-Free Cat

Cooking – Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl

Baking – Jules @ Jules Gluten Free

Kids – Lynn @ Lynn’s Recipe Adventures

Lunch Boxes – Tessa @ Tessa the Domestic Diva

Shopping – Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry

So without further ado, here’s my tip for today:

Looking to save some money while eating gluten-free? Go for your fruits and veggies first! Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. It’s healthier (look at all that great nutrition you’re getting!) plus you’re avoiding the marked up prices most people pay for convenience food. Create the bulk of your meals from fruits and veggies, then if you have extra money, add in a few convenience food “goodies”.

If you can find a local farmer’s market, you will pay even less for your produce, as much of the high cost of food comes from transporting it to your town! If you can buy locally you will save money and also help support your local community. Our local farmer’s market regularly has bananas for $0.29 a pound, cucumbers for pennies, and lettuce for a fraction of the grocery store price.

Affiliate Disclosure  Print This Post  Email This Post

Comments

1. That’s one of my absolute FAVORITE tips Janelle! i always tell folks in my GF support group to start simply by shopping the perimeter of the grocery store! And I love a good farmer’s market! great tip! (no entry into drawing! just commenting!)

2. Mary-Frances Reavey says:

Great website!!

3. I get my fruits and veggies from a co-op (Bountiful Baskets) and I’m like Carrie, I love going to the Farmer’s Market, too.

4. Jeannie Parker says:

This is something I really need to work on. I’ve never cooked much with fruits and veggie but since going gluten free I know I am going to have to try to learn more.

5. I totally agree about naturally gf foods. The farmer’s markets and CSA’s around here are not that cheap, but I do think they are worth while. Of course, organic always costs more and sometimes that’s the case. I’m very glad you are covering this topic for the blog hop and can’t wait to read your other tips.

6. I’m really looking forward to your series as I spend WAY too much on gf food. This is such a healthy tip for the body and the wallet!

7. Jillian says:

i have taken to grinding my own brown rice flour and i would love to know where to get gf treats “cheap”. thank you for participating.

8. Jessica B says:

Great website. Looking forward to what you have to share over the next 10 days.

9. I had no idea about the free cookbooks. Thank you for sharing important information – being gluten free has been one of the most expensive things I’ve ever done – so much uncertainty and so many things that didn’t work out. I greatly appreciate people like you being willing to share their knoweldge.

10. I agree, if I leave the store with only fresh produce, dairy, and meat- I know I’m going to eat healthy foods I can feel good about all week long.

11. I am also looking for new recipes. We are getting bored with the same old recipes. Thank you for the tips !

12. I agree, farmer’s markets are great. Ours are not the cheapest, but they are nice and fresh and that says a lot.

13. I’ve downloaded a couple of the free cookbooks before but haven’t found anything I could use yet. I try to eat lower carb as well as gluten free and they are usually full of sugary things and lots of rice. I’ll keep trying, though!

14. Natalie says:

Love the farmer’s market!

15. The farmer’s markets don’t open until late spring or early summer. Most of the time, I have to get the produce from the supermarkets. But I do prefer the better flavor of produce from the farmer’s markets.

16. Angel R. says:

Loving the blog hop! Thanks for the wealth of information!