Welcome back to Cooking With Kayla! This week we decided to make Baked Strawberry French Toast. We got the idea of Baked French Toast from Ginger Lemon Girl’s The Everything Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Cookbook, where we had found a recipe for Blueberry French Toast in the slow cooker. We had made that recipe this past week, and it turned out well except that I had to halve the recipe because of the size of my slow cooker. I was thinking that maybe it would turn out better in the oven, so I tweaked a few things and modified it for the oven. And used strawberries because we are out of blueberries. And thought applesauce would be a nice addition. Etc., etc.
Here’s our recipe:
1) Mix together the following in a medium bowl:
- 1-1/2 cups milk (we used regular cow’s milk)
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
2) Cube 7-8 cups of gluten-free bread. We used about a loaf and a half of this recipe. Pour the ingredients from step 1 over the bread and mix thoroughly but gently.
3) Chop about 15 strawberries. Mine were frozen from our strawberry picking day, so I partially thawed them, then Kayla chopped them.
4) Pour bread mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Spread strawberries over top. Sprinkle the following over the strawberries:
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used raw sugar)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, drizzled over all
5) Bake at 350, covered with foil, for approximately 45-50 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
We topped ours with applesauce with just a drizzle of maple syrup on top. The flavor combination was delicious!
As with all recipes, make sure your ingredients are gluten-free and meet your family’s dietary needs!
Affiliate Disclosure Print This Post Email This Post