This week for Cooking With Kayla, we decided to put together Gluten-Free Scalloped Potatoes. I have an abundance of potatoes right now, due to a great sale at my local grocery outlet for right around $0.17/pound, so I was looking for a good way to use them. Kayla has never learned to peel and slice potatoes yet due to my concerns over her losing a finger, but I figured that at 9 years old, it was about time.
Kayla got to peeling and slicing, while I stirred together the sauce. She did a great job. The first potato took a little while, but with the second one she joyfully announced “this one only took me half as long”!
Here’s our recipe:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheese (we used sharp cheddar)
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (we used 10 small potatoes)
- 1 onion, chopped
1) Peel and slice potatoes. Place in the bottom of a greased 2 quart baking dish.
2) In a skillet, melt butter. Stir in GF flour mix, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add milk gradually, stirring thoroughly. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cook and stir until thickened. It won’t take long.
3) Add cheese to milk and flour mixture, and stir just until melted. Pour over potatoes.
4) Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover, then bake 10-15 minutes longer until the potatoes are tender and the casserole is bubbly.
As with all recipes, make sure your ingredients are gluten-free and meet your family’s dietary needs!
Affiliate Disclosure Print This Post Email This Post