Welcome back to Cooking With Kayla! As I’m sure you’ve noticed, we have taken a few week hiatus, but we’re back in full force today with these delicious Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins! We started out with this recipe by Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans, but modified it to make them gluten-free.
Here’s our recipe:
1) Mix together 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats (the regular kind, not instant) with 1 cup of allowed milk. We used 1% regular cow’s milk. Allow to sit for at least one hour. I did this while Kayla was at school and it sat in the fridge for about 4 hours.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan (no muffin cups with this one) with cooking spray.
3) Mix together the following:
- Milk/oat mixture
- 1/2 cup applesauce (ours was sweetened)
- 1 egg (the original recipe called for 2 egg whites – we don’t “do” egg whites in our household typically – too much of a hassle separating them and then storing/finding a use for the yolks!)
4) Whisk the following together in a separate bowl:
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
5) Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just until mixed. Don’t over-mix. You can add chopped nuts or raisins here, if you want to.
6) Pour into muffin cups.
7) Mix together 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to make cinnamon sugar. Sprinkle a little bit over the top of each muffin. This is where Kayla had the most fun.
8) Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Use a cake tester to check the middle of the muffins for doneness.
Enjoy! We think you will…these were delicious!
As with all recipes, make sure your ingredients are gluten-free and meet your family’s dietary needs!
Affiliate Disclosure Print This Post Email This Post